There was a time, when I would have looked at people who said they were veggie or vegan, as very weird people. Now I am one 🙂
I would have actually thought, there was something seriously wrong with those type of people. Always at the back of my would have been, what do you eat to survive ?
Now it’s, how can you eat that, not out loud obviously 🙂 Not only have I made a massive changes in my diet, I proved to myself anything is possible. It is not something that would have ever crossed my mind, I loved my steak tooooooooo much, “I would literally order rare meat”
So what changed ??? I began to notice how people used animals for entertainment at a cruel level & it made me sick
- First it began when I was on holiday in Florida, I went on a day trip to SeaWorld with my brothers & sisters. After the Shamu show “which at the time looked great” we went browsing for somewhere to eat. I can’t remember the name of it, we went in sat down, had a look at the menu, everything looked great until I realised we were sitting in a restaurant that served fish & they also swam all around us in the glass tunnels. This was highly disturbing for me to watch.
- Second time, In Thailand, decided to go elephant trekking, it’s the thing all backpackers want to do. When we got up on the podium to get on the elephant I remember thinking, I don’t want to do this but, they had already started moving. There was a little girl no more than 10 leading the way, the elephant was being slightly disobedient so she jabbed a big steel stick in the elephants eye to control the poor thing, I was horrified. It lasted all of 20 mins the whole time I just wanted to get off & see was the elephant ok. When we got back to base they wouldn’t answer anything I asked, I remember feeding the elephants some bananas, the poor things were exhausted their faces & everything were sunken. To say it was horrible is an understatement.
- Then introducing pets into my life, I learned to love them very much, they sleep in the bed beside me, they actually look after us in their own way. I realised, they are not just animals they are family.
- Then the final straw was, I went travelling to Canada & the More I was on the subway, the more I seen the vegan poster, I was traumatized. ⇓⇓
It literally made me feel
- Sick to my stomach
- Guilty as hell
- Hypocritical in every was possible
I really began to think about this & the more I did, I felt like shit. I had pets but was eating meat & using products tested on them, what sort of hypocritical asshole was I ?
That was it, I made up my mind I became vegetarian, moving towards vegan & I will never look back. It was the best decision I have ever made.
With serious amount of determination I began to research how I could change this & still have the things I love without cruelty attached.I found peta & crueltyfreeinternational which both have excellent recommendation for safe products for animals.
So how do I survive without meat & animal products?
When the mind has been made up the next part is so easy. There is so many things you can make from vegetables, fruits, grains etc. I have smoothies packed with vitamins every morning, rice dinners with loads of veg, pasta dinners with loads of veg, all my carbs are gluten-free to be healthier again.
I’m slowly but surely moving away from all tested products & the ethical ones are just as good if not better.
There is a huge variety of diet options that are cruelty free, we are thought to eat meat, unless out parents or guardians are veg or vegan, that’s why we never question it. Why would anybody question something that has been so normal for soooooo long.
Deep down I believe we have “not everyone” a string that gets pulled when something is just not right. Like, that day for me in Thailand my string was pulled big time. Now, I won’t even visit a zoo because, it is something else we have been thought is ok, since being a kid. In reality, what is ok about wild animals being locked in tiny cages for our entertainment. Or dog racing, hmmmm great night out for us, not the dogs, they run to make us money. Same with horse racing.
I can not stand any form of animal cruelty. It is just so sad to think as humans, we believe we can do whatever we want to them & get away with it because, we can. Take bull riders for example, it’s the bulls fault when it reacts to human stupidy & may even be put down for protecting itself, how awful.
This video explains meat-eating it brilliantly
Image source : http://veganspot.net/toronto-subway-poster-campaign/
Video Source : YouTube
Written By Siobhan