Let face it. It’s not really a skill the majority of people posses until they NEED to. I believe the reason for this is, that it is, part of a topic, that is not taught at a young age (Psychology).
Obviously, I don’t mean sit a 3-year-old down and talk Sigmund Freud. But, some of the basics on human growth & development alongside CBT to teach people how the mind actually works. The mind is the most important & most used tool in the world & the least understood. If it was correctly understood from a young age I do believe the world would have a lot less problems.
“Awareness is like the sun. When it shines on things, they are transformed.”
Thich Nhat Han
Would people really harm others if they fully understood what they were doing? People who harm others are in survival mode & they don’t even know why because they have no self – awareness.
It is a subject that doesn’t even register with people until much later in life or maybe not at all. Unless, they reach point, in life they can no longer tolerate & want to change it.
Some will go onto study it in college. But I believe it is a necessitate that should be provided for everyone.
So how to build self-awareness
- Become your own best friend. Take the time to really get to know yourself. Considering, the fact, you have to spend the rest of your life with you. Understanding who you are really is a great place to start. Set of on a journey of personal development. There is always room for improvement.
- Emotional intelligence. What is that ? Its is the skill of understanding the connecting between emotions, feelings & behaviour. Learning how your emotions & feelings work is a very self-aware thing to achieve. Have you got some in your life who always pushes your buttons ??? Do you want to learn how to stop them ? When you become emotionally intelligent you are in charge of how you react. As much as we always want to blame the other person for annoying us. What about the fuse YOU just blew ???
- Building your self-worth is very important. If you have a low self-image how could it be possible, to succeed, in any area of life. Admit your weaknesses to yourself in order to work on them. Don’t deny them. You have weaknesses we all have & there is nothing wrong with that. By pretending to be perfect, we are lying to ourselves, no one else. We are the only person we have to prove our self, to 🙂 Remember that
- Start a self reflective journal. Write every day
- Read as many personal development books as you possibly can
- Watch inspirational videos
- Find out what you like. What do you love to do
- Are you being your real self or wearing a mask. If you’re wearing a mask get rid of it or you will eventually lose your identity through people pleasing
Personal development is a life long journey. But it is one that is so worth taking. I’ve learned more in the last 5 years that I did in the other 28 🙂
♥♥ Have a lovely day ♥♥